Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Playing catch up

It has been so long since I have had a chance to give an update on the boys.

Last Saturday we returned from a week at the beach with Nana and Papa. Nana and Papa found the place and we provided the entertainment!! Even though the weather was not nice all the time, we had a wonderful time. Sandra and I took the boys on long walks, Ashley took the twins for bike rides, we swam in the pool, the ocean and the bathtub together. We went to the park and jammed to the music of Shannon Tanner (Andrew did most of the rocking). I napped with the boys, they built us towers, threw ice in the lagoon, fed the turtles a sandwich (their way of saying a piece of bread) and played at the park (indoor and outdoor parks).

Ashley and I celebrated our 7 year anniversary while we were in Hilton Head. Nana and Papa were nice enough to keep the kids and allow us a day by ourselves to connect and talk about something other than time outs and trees being cut down (workmen were doing pruning in Palmetto Dunes and John got a little obsessed with it). I absolutely love those days we can spend together with no one to take care of but each other and no where to be but together. We are very blessed to have each other and it is easy to take it for granted...we try not to, but when you live with three people under 3 feet tall...just trust me. Ashley, I love you so much.

Okay, so back to the update on the bears.
Sandra and I got caught in a rainstorm/monsoon while walking on the beach with John and Andrew. Before the rain started we were collecting shells. Once the drops started, we headed back toward our stuff and within 30 seconds we were getting pelted with what felt like hail, but maybe it was just rain drops coming at us sideways at 35 mph.
Maybe I am being dramatic.
It was bad though.

She and I both picked up a baby and started running (seriously, running. In fact, I have not gotten that much exercise since before I got pregnant with the twins). Andrew was with Sandra and John was with me. Finally, we made it back to the villa!
Thank you God. Thanks for getting us back safely and thank you so much for ensuring that Wyatt was not with us.
At this point, we had switched babies. Andrew was not clinging to me like a little koala bear hanging on to his mommy for dear life. We got inside and he lifted his head off of my shoulder and whispered to me, "Here Mama!". He opened his tiny hand and there was a shell he had picked up while we were on the beach, before the storm, before the run back, before ducking through several parking garages.

He had held on to that shell. Now I will hold on to it...forever. Sweet gift from my sweet boy.

No comments: