Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Books

I was an English major, although you would never guess that by reading my posts. My parents spent a lot of money for me to take poetry, Linguistics, Shakespeare's tragedies, Adolescent Lit (I am dead serious), etc...
Four years of English classes and now my writing is littered with grammatical errors. I leave entire words out of sentences and I do not even notice until much later, because I do not take the time to proof read. Now I write like I talk; I tell myself that it does not matter if it is perfect because I am just doing this so I won't forget how cute my boys are, but it is a little embarrassing if I am being honest.
I chose English as a major as kind of the path of least resistance. I like reading though...when I have time. When I was sitting in Keen Butterworth's Southern Lit class talking about Zora Neale Hurston or William Faulkner, I never dreamed that in ten years I would be reading a lot more Dr. Seuss than anything else!
We MIGHT have another English major in the family. Andrew loves to read. He goes to bed every night reading and wants me to read to him immediately when he wakes up in the morning!
What I really love is that he renames all of his books.
Some of his favorites include: "Carl's Christmas" ,"Stinky Face", "Cars", "Kittens", "What's Wrong Little Pookie" and "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?"

Andrew refers to these books as: "Doggie Night Night", "Child", "Cars", "Kitty Kak Drinka Milk", "Pookie Eyes Wet", and "Bah-rown"

It is so precious to watch him listening intently while either Ashley or I read to him over and over and over and over. He knows all the upcoming sounds and repeats the last word of each sentence. He never seems to tire of these 6 books. John likes to hear the books as well, particularly "Cars", and will interject the next word in the story just when you think he is not listening.

So much for classics, I would much rather read about Mater and Lighting McQueen ("Light the Queen" is what John says)!!

This English major knows that book titles are supposed to be underlined, but guess what, quotes were faster.

1 comment:

lindler5 said...

ok, little miss english major. please don't critique my writing! i threw the traditional rules of grammar out of the window & adopted my own set. it makes it a ton easier, and like you say, it is for the memories. we aren't being published here!!