Sunday, November 9, 2008

Good enough

Good enough. Good enough? Good enough.

Those two little words can mean so many different things. When Andrew and John were in the NICU one of the nurses told me that I needed to familiarize myself with the words "Good enough" really quickly. That passing comment struck a chord in me and I find myself thinking about it a lot, even 2.5 years after she said it.
Is the house clean? It's good enough. Was dinner okay? It was good enough. Does this match? Ummm, good enough. So many things that I question do not really matter. So yeah, they are good enough.
Then the important things come to the surface. How am I doing as a wife? mother? sister? daughter? friend? Christian? professional? (not necessarily in this order) It's not okay just to be good enough. I hope that all those closest to me know how much I love them and want to be enough for them. Enough in a good way.

So now that I have that off my chest I can go on to other things.....

I managed to make it through the entire election without comment. Now that the country has spoken, I am so energized by what it can mean for the United States to have elected the first African-American President. Our nation has come so far in 50 years. I am moved at the thought that my children will never know the prejudice and segregation that my parents knew. Barack has an uphill battle ahead of him. His job will not be easy, but do I think he can affect change in this nation? YES HE CAN!

In other monumental news, P just started crawling! Okay, so this might not be as monumental as the election of the first Black President, but it is pretty big for the Gilfillan family. Instead of having two boys going in two directions, we now have three boys going in three directions...almost. He is not totally mobile yet, but getting there quickly.
What will we do?
How will we keep up with them all?
We will do it together.

No comments: